“Quality at Speed” is the dictum of today’s fast-paced software world. To meet this ever-changing demand, organizations are taking a huge leap forward towards Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD), Agile, and DevOps methodologies. And test automation is the kernel of these aspects. The objective of automation has transformed from being focussed on the shortening of testing times to better coverage and effective use of test cases.
Test automation is an enabler of successful Agile and DevOps adoption. However, the World Quality Report 2018–2019 reveals that the low level of automation of test activities has emerged to be a critical bottleneck in the further evolution of QA and testing.
Making use of the right automation testing tools at the right time is essential to deliver a quality product at speed. These tools make sure that the benefits of automation are delivered to the fullest. Thus, automation testing tools are a vital component of the software development process.
As more software development teams realize this and increase their spending, more products reach the market to grab their share of the pie. This list of the 10 best test automation tools will help you choose.
“Selenium automates browsers. That’s it!”
It is clear from the aforesaid statement by Selenium that it is a testing tool for automating web applications testing. When it comes to web automation testing tools, Selenium ranks #1. It is an outstanding open-source automation testing tool that can be executed in multiple browsers and operating systems, supporting a considerable amount of programming languages.
According to Survey on Test Automation Challenges, 84% of testers are using or have at some point or the other used Selenium in their projects.
- Helps you create complex and advanced automation scripts.
- Base for most of the other software testing tools.
- Supports parallel test execution, thus reduces test execution time.
“Is native app automation missing from your tool belt? Problem solved.”
Appium is one of the open-source automation testing tools primarily intended for mobile applications. It backs automation of native, hybrid, and mobile web applications built for iOS and Android.
Appium is based on server architecture and makes use of vendor-provided automation frameworks. It is easy to set up and use. In recent years, Appium has gained immense popularity and stability, thereby emerging as one of the best mobile automation testing tools.
- Automates any mobile app from any language and any test framework.
- Testing native apps doesn’t require SDK or recompiling of the app.
- Drives iOS, Android, and even Windows apps using the WebDriver protocol.
3. Katalon Studio
“Free. Robust. Cross-platform.”
These above-mentioned words describe Katalon automation testing tool aptly. It is an open-source automation testing tool that supports both the web and mobile app development environments.
It works on top of Selenium and Appium, thereby simplifying API, web, and mobile automation tests. It can be integrated with a variety of other tools such as JIRA, qTest, Kobiton, Git, Slack, and more.
Its robustness, popularity, and stability can be inferred from the fact that it recently got recognized as a March 2019 Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice for the Software Test Automation market.
- Versatile as it runs on Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Hundreds of built-in keywords for creating test cases
- Minimum programming skill required to use this tool
“Tools & techniques that elevate teams to greatness”
Cucumber is an open-source Behavior Driven Development (BDD) tool. It has an impressive list of users including PayPal and Canon. It supports languages like Ruby, Java, Scala, Groovy, etc.
Being used by 20% of testers, Cucumber supports only the web environment. It’s been built with the philosophy of delivering enhanced end-user experience.
- Code can be executed on different frameworks like Selenium.
- Test code is written in simple English called Gherkin.
- Supports languages like Ruby, Java, Scala, Groovy, etc.
5. HPE Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
“A robust tool, given by Hewlett-Packard Enterprise”
HPE Unified Functional Testing, formerly known as QuickTest Professional (QTP) is one of the best cross-platform automation testing tools. It brings developers and testers under one roof and provides excellent automation testing solutions, thereby making functional testing cost-effective and less complex.
It can automate Web, Desktop, SAP, Java, Oracle, Mobile, and Visual Basic amongst other applications. The list of development environments that it can automate is huge and it can be used with various types of software testing. It performs functional and regression testing through a user interface such as a native GUI or web interface.
- Uses VBScript as the scripting language.
- Supports data-driven testing.
- Cross browser & multi-platform compatibility.
Reference Website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_QuickTest_Professional
“Undisputed Leader in Test Automation for Enterprise Packaged Apps”
WorkSoft–an automation testing tool for SAP–offers the industry-leading Agile and DevOps continuous automation platform which is designed and engineered to tackle the world’s most complex automation problems.
It offers the only code-free continuous test automation platform. This platform is built to satisfy the needs of large enterprises that deal with mission-critical business processes, whose testing is vital across multiple applications and systems.
- The tool can be deployed even if an SAP project is in implementation, upgrade or maintenance stage.
- It can test and automate SuccessFactors, Concur, Syclo, Ariba Network, SAP Fiori User Experience (UX).
- It provides an integrated test data management tool.
7. IBM Rational Functional Tester (RFT)
“Get automated testing capabilities for functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing.”
Rational Functional Tester (RFT) is a commercial automation testing tool from IBM. This tool is mainly intended for automated functional testing and regression testing, GUI testing, and data-driven testing.
It supports many development environments including Siebel, Net, SAP, Java, PowerBuilder, Flex, and Dojo amongst others.
- Storyboard testing feature helps visualize and edit tests using natural language and application screenshots.
- Supports 2 scripting languages: Java and VB.Net.
- Integrates tightly with IBM Rational Quality Manager (test management tool).
8. Telerik Test Studio
“LOVED by QAs and Developers Alike”
Telerik Test Studio is one of the best automation testing tools that provide a comprehensive test automation solution. It provides you a platform to test desktop, web, and mobile applications.
- Supports real coding languages like C# and VB.NET
- Supports 2 scripting languages: C# and VB.Net
- Allows scheduled tests, parallel test execution and has robust test reporting features.
“Build Better. Test Smarter”
SoapUI is an open-source functional testing tool designed by Smartbear–a leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant for Software Test Automation. It provides a comprehensive API Test Automation Framework for Representational State Transfers (REST) and Service-Oriented Architectures (SOAP).
It is not an automation testing tool for web or mobile app testing, however, it can be a tool of choice to test API and services. It is a headless functional testing application, especially for API testing.
- Scripts can be reused easily.
- Has drag and drop, point-and-click test generation.
- Allows asynchronous testing.
“Powerful and easy-to-use functional test automation tool from SmartBear”
Its robust record & replay capabilities allow you to build and run functional UI tests. TestComplete can also be easily integrated with other products under the same brand named SmartBear.
- Scripts can be reused easily.
- Creates complex automated test scripts without writing a single line of code.
- Easy-to-use visual record and playback.
Automation Testing Tools: Final Thoughts
Apart from the list mentioned in the blog, there are a plethora of other automation testing tools which aim at different types of testing. Some of them are open-source, while others are licensed. However, the choice of the automation tools depends entirely upon the business requirement with a single aim: “Quality software at speed.”
No real-world software is 100% free of bugs or issues. The best approach is to thoroughly test the software and fix the bugs found. You need an experienced, vetted, and focused software quality assurance testing team you can trust to do that. We at Net Solutions are that team.
Quality Software delivered at speed is always the top priority at Net Solutions. Our QA services, including automated testing services, will help you establish control over your product’s life cycle, monitor every development stage, and give you accurate product quality information.