Python is on an unexpected upward movement. And, the demand is sure to continue with no sign of dampening anytime soon. Python is expected to overtake Java and C# in the coming years, which is a clear indication of a lot more to come. Many of today’s big tech companies such as Google, Netflix, Instagram, are selecting Python frameworks for web development.
According to the Popularity of Programming Language Index, “python grew the most over the last five years by 19.0%. The TIOBE index puts python web application development at the 3rd place among the most used languages in the world”
Python gives a wide scope of frameworks to developers. There are two types of Python frameworks – Full Stack Framework and Non-Full Stack Framework. The full-stack Python frameworks give full support to developers including basic components like form generators, form validation, and template layouts.
Since Python does not accompany the built-in features required to accelerate custom web application development, many developers choose Python’s robust collection of frameworks to deal with the subtleties of execution.
Rather than writing similar code for every project, Python developers can use ready-made components in the framework. This not only saves time and money but even reduces time-to-market.
Python is an object-oriented, powerfully composed, interpreted, and interactive programming language. It’s easy-to-learn and easy-to-read feature effectively lessens the development time.
Ask any Python developer — newcomers or the skilled ones— they’ll agree on its reliability and efficient speed. Developers can work with and deploy Python frameworks for web development.
We respect your privacy. Your information is safe.
Popular Python frameworks 2022
Listed below are the top Python frameworks that a web development company and developers should choose in 2022 for enhancing website performance and time-to-market.
Django, a free and open-source Python framework, enables developers to develop complex code and apps quickly. Django framework assists in developing quality web applications. It is among the best python frameworks and is used for the quick development of APIs and web applications.
More than 12,000 known projects are developed in the Django framework. Furthermore, it is among the more seasoned web development Python frameworks.
This high-level framework streamlines web application development by giving different vigorous features. It has a colossal assortment of libraries and underscores effectiveness, less need for coding, and reusability of components.
Key Features of Django
- Assists you to define patterns for the URLs in your app.
- Built-in authentication system.
- Simple yet powerful URL system.
- Object-oriented programming language database that offers the best data storage and recovery.
- The automatic admin interface feature enables the functionality of editing, adding, and deleting things with customization.
- Cache framework accompanies multiple cache mechanisms.
CherryPy, almost ten years old now, has proved to be exceptionally quick and stable. It is an open-source Python web development framework that embeds its own multi-hung server. It can run on any working framework that supports Python.
A moderate web framework empowers you to use any kind of technology for data access, templating, and so on. Yes, it can do everything that a web framework is capable of, for example, taking care of sessions, file uploads, static, cookies, etc.
CherryPy enables developers to develop web apps similarly they would develop any other object-oriented Python program. This results in the development of smaller source code in less time.
Key Features of CherryPy
- A consistent, HTTP/1.1-compliant, WSGI thread-pooled webserver
- Easy to run various HTTP servers (for example on multiple ports) at once
- Runs on Python 2.7+, 3.5+, PyPy, Jython and Android
- Built-in tools for encoding, sessions, caching, authentication, static content, and many more
- A powerful configuration system for developers and deployers alike
- Built-in profiling, coverage, and testing support
Pyramid’s popularity is progressively growing. Most of the experienced developers are embracing it. Pyramid frameworks run on Python 3. This framework is flexible and allows users to develop basic web apps via a minimalistic approach.
Pyramid frameworks are versatile and can be used for both easy and difficult projects. It is the most valued web framework among experienced Python developers by virtue of its transparency and measured quality. It has been used by tech giants like Mozilla, Yelp, Dropbox, and SurveyMonkey.
Key Features of Pyramid
- Ability to run well with both small and large apps
- URL mapping based on Routes configuration through URL dispatch and WebHelpers
- HTML structure validation and generation
- All-embracing templating and asset details
- Testing, support, and comprehensive data documentation
- Flexible authentication and approval
Grok framework is a web framework based on the Zope toolkit technology. It gives an agile development experience to developers by concentrating on two general principles – convention over configuration and DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself). It is an open-source framework, developed to speed up the application development process.
Developers can choose from a wide scope of network and independent libraries as indicated by the task needs. Grok’s UI (user interface) is like other full-stack Python frameworks such as Pylons and TurboGears.
Key Features of Grok
- Offers a strong foundation for developing powerful and extensible web applications
- Enables web developers to take advantage of the power of Zope 3
- A powerful object database for storage
- Integrated security to ensure your application and grant access to specific users
- Grok component architecture helps developers lessen the unpredictability of development
- Offers the building blocks and other essential assets to develop custom web applications for business needs
TurboGears is a data-driven full-stack web application Python framework. It is designed to overcome the inadequacies of various extensively used web and mobile app development frameworks. It empowers software engineers to begin developing web applications with an insignificant setup.
The framework pursues an MVC (Model-View-Controller) design and incorporates vigorous formats, an incredible Object Relational Mapper (ORM) and Ajax for the server and program. Organizations using TurboGears incorporate Bisque, ShowMeDo, and SourceForge.
Key Features of TurboGears
- All features are executed as function decorators.
- Multi-database support.
- Accessible command-line tools.
- MVC-style architecture and PasteScript templates.
- ToscaWidgets to ease the coordination of frontend design and server deployment.
Web2py accompanies a debugger, code editor as well as a deployment tool to enable you to build and debug the code, as well as test and keep up web applications. It’s a cross-platform framework that underpins Windows, Unix/Linux, Mac, Google App Engine, and different other platforms.
The framework streamlines Python app development procedure via a web server, SQL database, and an online interface. It enables clients to build, revise, deploy, and manage web applications via web browsers.
The key component of Web2py is a ticketing framework, which issues a ticket when a mistake occurs. This encourages the client to follow the mistake and its status. Also, it has in-built components to manage HTTP requests, reactions, sessions, and cookies.
Key Features of Web2py
- Supports settlement over configuration and facilitates quick web development.
- Supports MVC Architecture to simplify web development.
- Enables developers to work with broadly used relational and NoSQL databases.
- Web-Based IDE to accelerate web development projects like cleaning temp files, editing app files, running tests, and browsing past tickets.
- It comes with Useful Batteries to build a variety of web apps efficiently without using external tools and services.
- Keeps the web apps secure by addressing top vulnerabilities and security issues.
Flask is a Python framework accessible under the BSD license, which is inspired by the Sinatra Ruby framework. Flask relies upon the Werkzeug WSGI toolbox and Jinja2 template. The main purpose is to help develop a strong web application base.
Developers can develop the Python backend framework any way they need, however, it was designed for applications that are open-ended. Flask has been used by big companies, which include LinkedIn and Pinterest. Compared to Django, Flask is best suited for small and easy projects. Thus, you can expect a web server development, support for Google App Engine as well as in-built unit testing.
Key Features of Flask
- Built-in development server and debugger.
- RESTful request dispatching.
- Integrated unit testing support (code with quality).
- Uses Jinja2 templating (tags, filters, macros, and more).
- 100% WSGI 1.0 compliant.
- Multiple extensions provided by the community that eases the integration of new functionalities.
Bottle is one of the best Python web framework, which falls under the class of small-scale frameworks. Originally, it was developed for building web APIs. Also, Bottle tries to execute everything in a single source document. It has no other dependencies than Python Standard Library.
The out-of-the-box functionalities include templating, utilities, directing, and some fundamental abstraction over the WSGI standard. Like Flask, you will be coding significantly closer to the metal than with a full-stack framework. Bottle enables developers to work closer to the hardware. It not only builds simplistic personal-use apps but an apt place for learning Python frameworks and prototyping. For example, Bottle has been used by Netflix for its web interfaces.
Key Features of Bottle
- Spotless and dynamic URL-routes for mapping by using simplified syntax.
- Quick and pythonic built-in template engine and backing.
- WSGI framework works with CGI and WSGI internals is easy.
- Permits easy access for data, cookies, file uploads, and other HTTP-related metadata.
- Worked in HTTP server and backing for glue, fapws3, flup, or some other WSGI competent HTTP server.
- Speed optimizations for testing and high performance.
Tornado is a Python web framework and offbeat framework library. It utilizes a non-blocking framework I/O and unravels the C10k issue (which means that, whenever configured properly, it can deal with 10,000+ simultaneous connections).
This makes it an extraordinary tool for building applications that require superior and a huge number of simultaneous clients.
Key Features of Tornado
- Allows implementation of 3rd-party authentication and authorization schemes.
- Superior quality, real-time services, and non-blocking HTTP customers.
- It offers high-quality output.
- Support for interpretation and localization.
- User authentication support and Web templates.
BlueBream is also an open-source web application framework, server, and library for website developers. It was developed by the Zope team and was formerly known as Zope 3.
This framework is best suited for both medium and substantial activities apportioned into various re-usable and well-suited segments.
BlueBream relies upon Zoop Toolkit (ZTK). It holds extensive periods of experience ensuring that it meets the main essential for enduring, relentless, and adaptable programming.
Key Features of BlueBream
- Emphasizing Python Web Server Gateway Interface (WSGI) compatibility.
- Unit and functional testing frameworks.
- The basic mechanism for plugged security approaches.
- An XHTML-compliant language for developing templates.
- A tool for automatically generating forms.
- The Zope Component Architecture (ZCA) executes separation of concerns to develop strong reusable components.
Quixote framework is for writing Web-based applications with Python. Its objectives are adaptability and better performance, in a specific order. Quixote applications are developed in the traditional technology. Thus, if a Python developer is keen to try or learn the ‘real programming language’, then Quixote is for them. The logic for formatting web pages comprises of Python classes and functions.
There are three significant versions of Quixote. Versions 1 and 2 resemble each other but are quite different. Version 1 is no longer maintained effectively. Version 3 needs Python 3, like Quixote 2. Versions 2 and 3 are effectively kept up and are used by various public sites.
Key Features of Quixote
- Simple and flexible design with session management API.
- Library of functions to assist in the development and analysis of an HTML form.
- HTML templates are written in Python-like syntax and can be imported just like another Python code.
- Works with any web server that supports CGI or Fast CGI
- Supports Apache’s mod_python
- SCGI protocol is also supported
Though there are many python web development frameworks that are popular and in-demand in the coming years but differ in its own pros and cons. Every Python developer has different coding styles and preferences. They will assess every framework as per the requirements of an individual task. Hence, the choice depends highly on the python web developers and the task at hand.
The above mentioned free and open-source Python frameworks list for 2022, can be widely used as a full-stack back-end web application development. Which one are you picking for your next project? Or, which are your favorite frameworks in Python? Do let us know in the comments section given below.