As brands worldwide are juggling to get their customer’s attention, providing a seamless digital customer experience (CX) has never been more essential. But, what does it have to do with CMS platforms?
To put it in simple words, the key to providing a great CX is choosing a digital Content Management System that helps you understand your customers and serve them in the best possible way.
Why so, and what functionalities these CMS platforms have to help you provide an improved CX, let’s find out:
What is a CMS platform and How Does it Help Improve CX?
A CMS Platform is basically the heart of your digital strategy. It is an application that is utilized to publish and manage web content, allowing various stakeholders to contribute, edit, or publish content without the help of a developer.
If used well, a CMS platform can act as an asset for your digital business that can help you keep your website updated and marketing at the top of your game, always.
To manage content and marketing, let’s find out how CMS software help digital businesses in various manners:
Delivering Personalized CX
We all know that a personalized CMS experience is the need of the hour. To provide the same, the CTOs and CMOs of enterprise-level organizations leverage advanced web CMS platforms.
A CMS platform helps businesses separate content for different user segments and customize landing pages’ designs as per the users’ preferences. Using a CMS, companies can also reuse content and design elements across various portals and websites.
But, remember, this isn’t easy. Along with choosing the right CMS, marketing managers also need to test and iterate their strategies to define the right scope of personalization.
Analyzing Customer Data
Everything a customer does on your website is an important insight for understanding your customer’s behavior. So, collecting every such data gives CMOs access to a pool of information in which they can easily get lost. The solution to this is a CMS platform that can help you optimize the use of this data.
You just have to look for a CMS that supports goal tracking, customer journey tracking, A/B testing, customer engagement analysis, campaign tracking, and other functions related to analyzing customer journey.
Managing Digital Assets Efficiently
When managing enormous content and reusing it, limiting redundancy is an absolute necessity to minimize expenses. What is of high priority here is managing the use of your digital assets – visuals and texts.
Here, as well, a content management system can help you do the needful. You can use a web CMS platform to modify, change formats, and manage your digital assets effectively. It is also easy to manage and search for different digital asset libraries right from the CMS to get your tasks done in minutes.
Now that we have already set the context for why it’s important for businesses to provide a seamless CMS experience, let’s deep dive into the article and find all functionalities you will require to consider when choosing a CMS platform for your organization.
What are the Must-Have Features for Enterprise CMS Platforms?
The best enterprise CMS platform should unify campaigns, channels, visitor information, and performance management into a single integrated marketing tool. In addition to that, it should also be able to seamlessly integrate with your core systems such as CRM, ad-serving platform, and any other systems that are currently helping you manage your business’s processes.
Therefore, while looking for a CMS platform to serve your business needs, you should look from both the perspectives – Marketing and IT.
Here are some functionalities that can be used as a starting point for evaluating a CMS platform from both the perspectives:
From Marketing Perspective:
Easy to-Use Interface
What makes a good cms is its easy-to-use and intuitive interface.
It is crucial for your marketing team’s productivity that you choose a CMS having an interface that attracts. An intuitive and simple interface enables your marketers and content creation experts to add and edit content online without even knowing HTML.
Additionally, as they modify the content, they should have the option to see how their changes affect the overall page. For instance, while editing, users must know how a revised banner headline will look on the page. Or, if any particular font is changed, how it is going to impact the overall representation of the page.
Take a look at how Webflow’s editor made everything look so easy:
In taking your business’s marketing one step ahead of your competitors, basic web analytics won’t work. They just give you a quantitative view of how well your website is performing. However, to measure the quality of a page view, you will need qualitative analytics that measures the value of leads you get. So, always look for the best enterprise CMS solutions that let you set and analyze your marketing goals.
For example, Sitecore provides real-time analytics to gain insights about customer behavior – what visitors are doing on your website, how they are navigating, and much more. You can then make changes to your content or site navigation as per the reports generated. Sitecore CMS also helps you set automated marketing campaigns and personalized CX across various channels.
SEO increases the visibility of your website. It helps rank your website higher on search engines and improves your website traffic. Also, SEO is famously complicated, ever-evolving, and requires a sharp strategy.
So it always helps to choose an SEO-friendly CMS platform to make optimization easier or consider looking for a CMS platform with built-in SEO tools.
If a CMS doesn’t have built-in SEO tools, it should offer SEO plugins and add-ons. An example of CMS that provides SEO plugins is WordPress. It offers Yoast – an SEO plugin that helps users optimize web pages as per SEO best-practices.
Also, don’t forget to check the answers to the following questions while choosing a CMS platform:
- Does your platform create SEO-friendly URLs automatically?
- Does it help you add meta tags to optimize landing pages?
- What advanced SEO features does the platform offer?
- If these SEO features aren’t built-in, is the CMS platform compatible with SEO plugins?
If you are planning to expand your business worldwide, make sure your CMS provides multi-language support. It will make it easy for you to create and distribute content using various language variations of your pages. Almost all modern-day CMS solutions provide multi-language capacity.
From IT Perspective:
When your team requires quick deployment of web instances, you need ease and speed, which is offered by cloud deployment. It doesn’t matter you are using a PAAS or IAAS model; you have to search for automatic scaling and a pay-as-you-go model to get your cost low. Or, you might like on-premise deployment.
So choose a platform that offers flexibility in hosting as well as deployment options.
Administration and Roles
The best enterprise CMS platform will always have a well-organized permission and user management framework that permits you to assign different controls to editors, contributors, subscribers, and authors for simplicity of organization workflow and control directly down to the field level whenever required.
For example, using WordPress CMS, you can assign different user roles to team members and manage their work effectively.
Most CMS platforms don’t have a customer care department that you can call with an inquiry, diminishing the CMS experience. They give comprehensive documentation but depend on a community of users to solve problems and provide support.
Though these communities can be a good source of information to determine issues without help from anyone else. But, you may not always have the time to post your queries and then wait for others to answer the same. So, when you’re assessing CMS solutions based on support, consider the various types of support they provide for critical and less critical situations.
Guaranteeing maximum security on your site doesn’t just protect your data – it shields your customers and your business from the public – and possibly wrecking – exploitations.
So while choosing your content management system platforms, watch out for security:
- Find out what the platform offers?
- How much work will your team have to do to ensure security standards?
- Will your users feel secure or not while using your website? (While making payments or doing shopping)
- Your customer’s data will be safe or not?
Now that we have seen the key features of CMS software, let’s move forward and find what options are available in the market when it comes to choosing a CMS to create a website.
10 Most Popular CMS Platforms to Create a Website in 2021
Here is a list of 10 best enterprise CMS platforms that have proven their worth in digital customer experience management.
1. Adobe Experience Manager
Need a CMS which reduces the complexity of delivering online experiences? AEM is the right choice and one of the most popular CMS platforms that simplifies the management and delivery of websites content. It helps you to engage with your audience, offering them a personalized experience. It was named a Leader in Gartner’s 2015 Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management research report.
Key Features include:
- A variety of tools to optimize shopping carts, sync product information, and generate pages from catalog data
- Easy management of different sites across different regions and languages
- Ability to manage and launch marketing campaigns from one central location
- Build and manage mobile sites and responsive designs from one single platform
While this CMS empowers you to market your product within the context of current and past customer interaction, it also promises a personalized and relevant customer experience for your brand.
So if you are in search of improved web traffic along with better user experience, you should refer to just one in this list of different CMS platforms and that is Sitecore. It blends content, commerce, and personalization. Hence, for those wishing to create seamless customer experiences across various channels, this is the go-to-market solution.
Key features include:
- An intuitive interface, to add ease of managing large websites or multiple websites
- Integrated Online Marketing Suite, to help optimize websites and content
- AB Testing, Email Integration, Analytics and Reporting, User Profiling, and more useful features
- Features intelligent elements and cross-browser compatibility
- Multilingual capabilities
It is an open source software or CMS framework, used by nearly one-third of the world’s businesses for building a website.
WordPress is also considered as the best CMS to build a website for personal blogs. It is equipped with a ton of optional feature plugins and themes of any CMS and can be customized to suit any vision. However, maintenance can be cumbersome and security implementation is sometimes uneven.
Key benefits include:
- You can make changes to your site anywhere
- Simple and constant codes make it easy for Google indexing and help rank high in search engines
- Possibility to update your site’s design and content on the go
- Seamless integration with social networks
- You get the benefit of responsive web technology
- Adding new features and functionalities turns simpler
- Opportunity to fortify your site’s security and make it hacking-proof
If you have an eCommerce store and you desire more flexibility, Joomla is the best choice for you. Released in 2005, it is an open-source platform that comes with lots of extensions and templates. It is an ideal choice or best CMS for developers as it comes with powerful features and can be used for creating feature-rich websites.
However, the framework is not beginner-friendly like WordPress. Not to mention, the framework also has a supportive community of developers to help you en-route.
Key benefits include:
- Multilingual Support
- Offer advanced user management functions
- The framework is extensible, flexible and best-fit for eCommerce stores
- Joomla is known for its SEO-friendliness and mobile support.
Acquia is considered as a best enterprise CMS platform to create powerful digital foundations. You can visualize and contextualize your vision using this one of the top 10 CMS platforms and provide an exquisite experience in terms of content.
Be it, marketers or merchandisers, this solution is opted mainly for building complex applications quickly.
Key benefits include:
- Optimization and enablement of your website to run faster on various platforms
- Option to choose among isolated hosting and shared hosting
- Complete organizational content management along with website hosting
- Increased customer engagement along with higher employee engagement
- Innovative analytics and personalized solutions
Why Kentico is a part of our top CMS platforms list is because it offers a robust suite of tools and apps that gives your business an excellent method to create, revise, or issue electronic text.
It comes with an online GUI and is also considered as an easy CMS for clients. Publishers use it to gain easy control over the content and you will be able to build more than one media library. In fact, you can easily make a global site with multilingual content to reach new markets using Kentico.
Key benefits include:
- Publish and manage several blogs and enable the users to insert new blogs
- Helpful for the creation of social networking groups
- Allows online chat with the forum
Now get a robust, scalable, easy-to-use, secure, and powerful top CMS platform.
Alfresco allows you to manage, capture, store, preserve, and deliver the content on-demand. And that is why it is in the list of our top 10 enterprise cms systems. It increases both productivity and efficiency. Plus, using it, you can save all the company’s documents and content in one place.
Key benefits include:
- An open-source document management system to handle any of your business-critical content.
- A great choice for most of the small and medium enterprises.
- You can integrate a large number of documents to make the process faster, accurate and cheaper.
- It can be deployed on the open-source stack combination server and database.
- Highly scalable and has the capacity to cover documents and processes.
Being an API-centric content infrastructure platform, Contentful is extremely easy to use and you get the best CMS experience while using it.
You can store any kind of data including text and images. It saves software development and delivery time and lets you offer fresh experiences to your customers more often.
Key benefits include:
- It can be used to store 100% of the content you create and distribute it to any digital platform.
- With UI extensions and a rich text editor, you can create and edit the content.
- Powerful APIs make it simple to use software with no complexities.
Another effective and flexible digital content management system, which can take your organization beyond basic file storage, is SharePoint.
It is also referred to as a document collaboration tool and eliminates the messiness of back-and-forth emailing. Along with this, it offers easy search, retrieval, sharing, and editing of all the documents.
Key Benefits include:
- Find all the documents for a specific project, in no time
- Use a combination of folder hierarchy and metadata fields
- View and restore previous versions to recover from unexpected changes
- A powerful tool for storing, managing, and organizing business-critical documents
- Easily customizable content management features
If you are a retailer, banker, distributor, manufacturer, or public service agency, and want highly personalized CMS experiences, Bloomreach is one of the best CMS platforms for you.
It stimulates customer engagement and loyalty. You can expect it to boost the conversion rate and revenue. BloomReach allows you to create powerful and intuitive web page designs.
Key benefits include:
- Collect visitor data through various channels and sources.
- Produce personalized content with features that are quite flexible and fit your business structure.
- Wide range of features to make content structure light and easy to integrate.
- Keep a close check on various aspects like visitor behavior, preferences, etc.
So that was the list of top 10 best CMS software. Now, if you are thinking of comparing these CMS platforms to find which one is the best for you, you are going the wrong way. Every business has different requirements and no one size fits all. So, instead of making a CMS platform comparison, identify your unique business challenges, desired results, and then choose a CMS platform that fits your needs.
As said earlier, all these website CMS platforms have their own pros and cons. Therefore, for your business, as a web developer, you need to look for a perfect balance between an easy-to-use interface and the complex elements for a bespoke site.
There are various things you should consider when choosing the CMS framework. Filter them with your own expectations, your aims, and the purpose of the website. Simply choosing one from the list of best Content Management System examples and using it without analyzing would also waste a lot of your time.