In this world where everyone is busy in their lives, finding companionship, let alone love, has become difficult. This is one of the main reasons behind the rising popularity of dating apps all across the mobile platforms. People use these apps to find a potential match and set up dates when it is convenient. They can do that privately, and beyond the limited reach of their social circle or even limited geographical reach.
As its popularity grows, the business of online dating has grown tremendously. The forecasted revenue of the online dating sector amounts to as much as $1,667 million in the year 2019 alone.
1. Tinder: The World’s Hottest App
Android Rating: 4.0
iOS Rating: 3.9
Premium Version: Tinder Plus, Tinder Gold
Popular for: Higher search volume
Tinder has taken the world by storm, with nearly 2.0 billion views per day and over one million dates per week. It is surely surpassing its competition like a pro to list among the top free dating apps.
The app is popular for introducing the “swiping motion” feature to like or dislike a profile. Where “swipe right” means a user is interested, “swipe left” lets them give a pass.
Tinder is often considered the gold standard for its features and usability and thus, leads our list of best dating apps.
- “Geographical proximity” to fetch nearby connections
- “Swiping” action to show interest and disinterest
- Integration with Facebook, Spotify, and Instagram accounts
- “Double opt-in” for making sure the interest is mutual
- “Top Picks” feature to help narrow down user’s choices
- “Rewinding” option for undoing accidental left swipes
- Super Like feature to let users “super like” one profile in 24 hours
- Introduction of Hey! Vina to grow the network of (girl)friends
Takeaway Feature: Where swiping function is a common thing, go for features like “double opt-in.”
2. Bumble: Date, Meet Friends, Network
Android Rating: 3.6
iOS Rating: 4.2
Premium Version: Bumble Boost, Bumble SuperSwipe
Popular for: Quality matches
Similar to Tinder, Bumble is also a location-based local dating app that leads to beautiful stories down the lane. Surprisingly, Bumble was found by a former co-founder of Tinder. Now that is a piece of news!
The app is different from its peers as it allows women to make the first move in this (male chauvinist) world. Therefore, making the app a pure “feminist” empowered platform.
- Mode 1: Bumble Date that allows women to make the first move
- Mode 2: Bumble Bizz that is apt for making professional connections
- Mode 3: Bumble BFF that helps start meaningful friendships
- Offers “block and report” feature to reject hate speeches
- Allows integration with Spotify accounts to showcase music interests
- “Backtrack” feature helps undo accidental swipes by shaking the phone
- “Snooze” option to pause app usage for a temporary time
- Combats ghosting as the match disappears after 24 hours of no response
- Allows voice call, but only if it is a match
Takeaway Feature: Build an integrated platform that works well for dating, friendships, and professional linkups.
3. OkCupid: Helps build lasting connections
Android Rating: 4.1
iOS Rating: 4.3
Premium Version: A-List, A-List Premium
Popular for: Percentage match algorithm
OkCupid or aptly the OKC is an America-based app built for dating, friendships, and more. The app is highly applauded for suggesting the right pick with its availability of 22 genders and 13 orientation options.
OkCupid has set the records right with over 91 million connections made annually and with 50k dates made every week. The distinctive feature of the app is that it lets the user connect with a match irrespective of geographical boundaries.
- Connects with local singles in your vicinity
- Multiple-choice questionnaire to help find a perfect match
- Is the first of its kind to introduce “sapiosexuality”
- Offers 22 gender and 13 orientation options
- The DoubleTake feature for a deeper insight into a connection’s world
- Messages can be received only from people who have matched
- The “Pronouns” feature to help share preferences on the profile
Takeaway Feature: The multiple-choice questionnaire could help you make a good start in knowing your users.
4. Coffee Meets Bagel: Rediscover Dating
Android Rating: 4.0
iOS Rating: 4.4
Premium Version: CMB Premium
Popular for: Focus on serious relationships
Coffee Meets Bagel is listed among the top dating apps owing to its emphasis on quality over quantity. The curative algorithm of the app helps receive meaningful matches every day around “Noon.”
The in-depth profiles ditch the love at first sight concept by letting two people know each other in the truest manner. At the same time, CMB dwells in “slow dating,” by giving people their own sweet time to connect.
- Uses machine learning techniques to fetch better bagels (matches)
- Potential matches are received every day around noon
- Matches are generally based on “Mutual Friends” on Facebook
- Offer options to “Like,” “Pass,” or “Priority Like” a profile
- Chat line activates for 7 days when the interest is mutual
- Instigates users to answer “question of the day” using an eight seconds video
- Offers the ability to comment on a user’s profile
- Offers in-app currency called “beans” to buy extra bagels
Takeaway Feature: Limited and quality matches presented at a specific time of the day on a daily basis could keep the curiosity high.
5. Badoo: Bigger than Dating
Android Rating: 4.3
iOS Rating: 4.6
Premium Version: Badoo Premium
Popular for: Younger generation hookups
Badoo is one of the top rated dating apps for it operates in nearly 190 countries and is available in 47 languages. Its “Freemium model” i.e., availability of core services for free makes this app a prodigious experience.
The app goes by the tagline “Bigger than dating,” and makes for the perfect platform to say those three little words. Long thing short, Badoo is the largest social discovery platform with 426 million registered users, and 60 million monthly active users.
- Searches are listed from all around the world without restrictions
- “People Nearby” to help find matches based on specific filters
- “Badoo Encounters” to help narrow down user choices
- “Baddo Live” allows video chat option for a real-time interaction
- “Selfie request” allows women to request a selfie from their match
- A strict verification process to fend away fake profile holders
- Lets’ user send up to two messages to a user they haven’t matched with
Takeaway Feature: The video chat option could give you an edge over your competitors.
6. Zoosk: A Right Platform for singles
Android Rating: 4.0
iOS Rating: 4.4
Premium Version: Zoosk Subscription
Popular for: Subscriber perks
Zoosk is a dating platform where singles are easy to find. Before a user is blinded by love, Zoosk gives them an opportunity to know each other to the core.
The app’s availability in 25 languages and in over 80 countries makes it a popular service worldwide. With about 40 million users, the app has become the reason behind many success stories.
- “Proprietary Behavioral Matchmaking Engine,” to get accurate matches
- “Video selfie” verification feature to lock out fake profile users
- The green check verification to certify a legit user
- “Carousel” feature to view profiles just like Tinder’s interface
- The age-range filter helps narrow down choices
- Offers virtual currency system to help buy virtual gifts for matches
- Dating insights to help understand one’s dating style
- “Super Send” feature for sending flirtatious messages to many people
Takeaway Feature: The video selfie feature can be a promising and innovative one when it comes to ensuring account security.
7. Happn: Find the people you have crossed paths with
Android Rating: 4.3
iOS Rating: 4.3
Premium Version: Happn Premium
Popular for: Real-time encounter concept
Imagine an individual is walking down the street and finds someone attractive enough to strike a conversation. While they shy away from saying hello, the Happn app comes to the rescue.
How? If the other individual is a Happn member too, their profile would automatically pop-up the screen. Magical, isn’t it? To add to the bandwagon of surprises, the Happn app will also tell the number of times that someone crossed paths with the other someone.
- Members around only 250-meter range are shown on the profile
- Send “secret hearts” that won’t be notified unless the feelings are mutual
- Messages can be only be exchanged if the “likes” are mutual
- The “CrushTime” game that makes one guess who liked them back
- “Hello” feature to say ten free hellos to anyone who appears on the timeline
- Voice messages can be sent over to the crushes
- Integration with Spotify to showcase music interests
- “I’m up for” feature to let interests know when the user is open for hangouts
Takeaway Feature: Introduce a game like CrushTime that instigates curiosity among the app members.
8. POF (PlentyofFish): Catching All The Nice Ones
Android Rating: 4.1
iOS Rating: 3.9
Premium Version: Upgraded Member
Popular for: Building long-term relationships
PlentyofFish has used tie-ups with celebrities and product placements in popular culture to grow its user base fast. Available in nine languages, it is deemed as the biggest dating app in the market with over 80 million members.
When people are looking for their one and only, PlentyofFish can be rewarding in its own way. A ton of features in the app comes free, enabling users to browse through profiles and send unlimited messages.
- Does not integrate social media accounts
- “Nearby” to help rank users based on how far they are
- Free unlimited messaging without any restrictions
- Offers free online personality assessment
- Automatic sign-out after a particular phase of inactivity
- “Ultra Match” to help narrow down top 50 compatible matches
- “POF Chemistry Predictor” to measure users on specific parameters
- Option to check “priority message” option to put messages on the top
Takeaway Feature: Priority messages could be one thing that could add to the user experience big time.
9. Hinge: The Relationship App
Android Rating: 4.2
iOS Rating: 4.5
Premium Version: Preferred Hinge Membership
Popular for: Profile with videos
Being an introvert does not make a user ineligible for striking a romantic connection. Hinge is the knight in shining armor as it easily helps someone to know their interest based on their Facebook profile.
The app is a perfect way to find a match that goes on to list people with mutual friends and shared interests.
- “Your Turn” feature that sends a reminder to initiate a conversation
- “We Met” feature allows Hinge to track the progress the couple has made
- The “Video” feature allows adding interesting videos as profile pictures
- Presents the user profile in the form of a story
- Users are allowed to like up to ten profiles in a day’s time
- “Most Compatible Match” to help shortlist one perfect match
- “Ask an Expert,” a premium feature for advice on profile enhancement
Takeaway Feature: The “follow-up” feature takes away the brownie points as it helps measure the success of the app.
10. eHarmony- Right From the Start
Android Rating: 3.1
iOS Rating: 3.6
Premium Version: eHarmony Membership
Popular for: Genuine profiles
eHarmony is the first-ever dating app that introduced the scientific conception of the Compatibility Matching System. The app requests to fill in a questionnaire that helps the system know users based on its 29 dimensions model.
The people at eHarmony believe in commonality as they follow the mantra, “Opposites attract, then they attack.” The app also shows its support to the LGBT community in the form of the “Compatible Partners” app, separately designed for same-sex matches.
- Requires taking relationship questionnaire to understand user preferences
- “Two of you together” feature to understand the reason behind compatibility
- Offers a chance to send pre-set questions to strike a conversation
- Matches can respond to pre-set questions with multiple-choice answers
- “Send a smile” option to initiate a conversation
- “Activity feed” to notify users when their matches upload new stuff
- “What if” feature to get some additional matches as suggestions
Takeaway Feature: Features like “two of you together” is a great option to help users understand why they were a match with someone in the first place.
In this era, where technology is transforming the world, one’s love life is not an exception. Each of these most popular dating apps is doing their bit to gather user attention, be different, and stay relevant. The message is clear: The Dating Apps Business is Here to Stay!