To survive and succeed in today’s fast-paced digital world, established businesses must not only provide the best experience to their customers and employees, but deliver on their promises in a faster, seamless, and a more nimble way. The ascendancy of digital-driven organizations indicates how quick digital transformation can undermine market pioneers and dislocate an entire industry, bringing the digital leaders at the forefront.
Thus, the opportunities to grow in this digital economy are enormous and change is happening at a rapid pace in the form of Digital Transformation. Forbes has reported that 90% of global businesses have kicked off a formal digital transformation initiative of some form, implying that they have crossed the first phase of digital transformation: Readiness.
However, it is reported that 84% of companies fail at digital transformation. This is a huge percentage indeed!
Digital transformation brings along innumerable latent changes in an organization, and many enterprises embarking upon the journey, usually fail to recognize or quantify the magnitude of such inherent changes, along with totally failing to determine the degree of transformation altogether.
Therefore, it is not surprising that so many businesses don’t even know where they fall on the proficiency scale.
This blog helps you identify whether you are in the middle, the beginning, or at a lopsided end of your digital transformation journey just by listing and analyzing a few evident signs. Thereby, empowering you to have better control of all the latent organizational changes.
So here’s the Digital Transformation ‘Undergoing’ Checklist for your Organization:
1. The Organization is Integrating Security across Functions
The demands of customers to access the data instantly are rapidly increasing with time. Also, with organizations shifting towards the cloud, securing this data becomes an important factor of digital transformation because the rise in cloud services brings threats along with it.
Thus, if your organization has started to deploy security controls across many different internal, public, and cloud environments, it signals that your company is undergoing digital transformation.
Even CEOs rate security as the top-most characteristic that enables the organization to become a digitally transformed organization.
A good ‘organization security’ strategy includes the following features:
- The organization’s employees are getting the tools more connected, engaged, and mobile.
- Nonstop connectivity, rich collaboration to support deeper engagement, and security everywhere.
- Deploying an end-to-end, policy-driven security approach to better secure every aspect of our value chain.
2. The Organization is Shifting Towards the Cloud
An ideal digital transformation aims for using technology in the right way, in a secure manner. To succeed in the digital transformation journey, enterprises leverage the support of the cloud to set up robust digital transformation frameworks.
Cloud is the foundation for today’s new agile business environment, thus if your enterprise is planning to or has already shifted towards the cloud, implies you are on the right path of digital transformation.
Research indicates that CEOs see cloud computing as the second-biggest technology trend (after the Internet of Things) that will significantly impact their business in the coming years.
An organization shifting towards the cloud witnesses the following benefits:
- Cloud offers analytics, functional programming, and low code platforms.
- Improved operational performance
- Flexible work practices
- Reduction in the risks of wasted IT resources
3. Becoming an Insights-Driven Organization
Remember the success of an organization’s digital transformation depends upon your ability to collect more data from more places and analyze it consistently.
A good data strategy includes:
- Flowing of data from devices, networks, users, applications, and threats that can be converted into actionable insights.
- Consolidating the business environments into a unified analytics view to minimize and eventually eliminate data silos.
- Changing the mindset of both senior leaders and front-line managers to understand the value of using models and algorithms to develop insights.
4. Embracing Digital-Driven Talent
A digital-driven organization fosters a digital culture in its company across levels throughout all functions, processes, and communications.
Thus, if your enterprise has embarked upon a transformation journey to attract, retain and develop talent that brings in the desired digital cultural change, focussing on recruiting digitally-driven millennials, and adapting the new ways of working; then it signals you are truly on the right track towards a successful digital transformation.
Fostering a cultural change involves:
- Hiring people with digital mindsets and a willingness to change the status quo.
- Embracing flatter structures and moving away from hierarchies
- Creating an environment where humans and robots work together successfully.
5. Leadership Driven Strategy
The digital business transformation is hard to happen in the absence of leadership commitment. Thus, if your organization’s leadership team has ventured into buying a digital vision for the company and has agreed to support the efforts to turn it into a reality, then your organization is undergoing the digital transformation in the right manner.
Good leadership with robust digital transformation strategy performs the following actions:
- Creates new digital business models
- Applies lean start-up methodologies, such as hackathons and design thinking
- Equip the workforce with tools to succeed
- Identify attractive partners inside and outside the industry
Apart from the ones discussed in the blog, there are plenty of other signs too, that indicate whether your organization is undergoing a digital transformation or not.
However, if any of the signals mentioned in the blog sound familiar to you, it implies the digital transformation has most probably started to take root in your organization.
No matter where you are in your digital transformation journey, an expert digital experience agency can help you build a smarter, faster, and more competitive business by providing connectivity, security, collaboration, automation, and analytics across your entire value-chain.