The best way a business can be of help to its customers is by satisfying their demands by serving them the right product or service at the right time and the right place. This belief forms the foundation stone of on-demand apps, a business model that works at monetizing the gap between the supply and the demand for any product or service, and is surging in popularity.
Going by the stats, the on-demand business is attracting more than 22.4 million consumers annually while spending about $57.6 billion. It thus turns out to be a great business opportunity indeed if you can come up with the right business idea and an all-perfect feature-rich app.
However, just finalizing an enthralling on-demand business idea isn’t enough; listing out its key set of features is equally crucial in this high-paced, fiercely competitive, and technology-driven market.
A Peek Into The Different Type of On-Demand App Users
Every on-demand app has two crucial actors which you need to keep in mind while building the app.
First comes the end-user, which refers to the set of people who request for an on-demand service or product through the app. Take an example of the ride-sharing app business. Here the end-user would be the individual booking for the ride.
And, then there is the delivery agent, which refers to the set of people who deliver the desired service or the desired product at the desired place. Taking an example of the food delivery business, the individual who delivers food to the doorstep is the so-called delivery agent.
Keeping these key actors in mind, let us look at the essential features that would make your on-demand app a reigning success.
Essential Features of On-Demand Apps
1. Sign-Up/Login Facilitation
This is the ever-essential app interface that any user or delivery agent interacts with when they open the app. If designed in an interactive manner, this interface could be the reason behind massive app downloads that follow.
Be it be the users or the delivery officials, here are some sign-up essentials to integrate with your app platform.
- Sign-Up with Email: This is the traditional account creation method that proves to be a familiar way for sign-ups and logins. The account should be created with basic information without making it an uphill climb.
Requirements: Email, and password
- OAuth (Open Authentication): A standard called OAuth is deployed by giants like Google and Facebook that lets the users register using the third-party accounts. It is a popular sign-up method for it is both easy and quick to register using the existing social media accounts.
Requirements: Mobile number/email address, social media platform password
Talking of a live example, Rover, the on-demand service app for dog care includes ideally functioning sign-up methods for both the users and the delivery agents.
The latest tech disruption in sign-up methodology to look out for:
- Sign-Up with Apple: This new privacy tool is all set to make its entry on the sign-up portals. Apple introduced this “Sign-up with Apple” at WWDC, and would be integrated into every app that is iOS compatible.
Requirements: Apple ID, Password
2. Ease of Ordering
No point in making an on-demand business if your users cannot easily find and order the product or services from your app. The UI & UX of your app must be top-notch that offers an experience worth sharing.
Usability is oxygen to your on-demand app; the lesser its concentration more is the loss incurred. So, it is essential to look after:
- Easy-to-Use Menu: The on-demand app must have an easy to maneuver menu placed under a visible hamburger icon. The idea is to give intuitiveness a priority over the surprise factor. Also, put emphasis on the fonts of the menu items for visibility makes for a good UX design.
- Favorites: It is a user likes a service or a product, they are likely to repeat their orders every time. So, it becomes a responsibility to add convenience by integrating a “favorites” tab where users can easily go about choosing the same service/product again and again.
The latest tech disruption in sign-up methodology to look out for:
- Machine Learning Powered Suggestions: By tracking your users’ ordering patterns, you can employ machine learning to identify their preferences. This act of data mining can lead to discovering patterns that can further help in showcasing tailored results. And, these results are definitely the ones that the users would most probably like to explore.
3. Live GPS Tracking
This feature sets the on-demand business apart from other existing business personas. GPS tracking is all about keeping the existing actors posted about the status of the request.
On the one hand, users can track the whereabouts of the delivery agent on the Google-integrated-map. And on the other hand, the delivery person can navigate to the end-users in time by referring to these maps. Thus, a win-win situation for both actors!
The Uber interface is probably the definitive example of this. It not only shows available cars nearby, but the assigned car is also tracked until it reaches the rider’s location. On the other end, the driver is shown the route to the rider. And during the ride, both use the same interface to track progress.
The newer invention around GPS tracking feature:
- Going the Animation Way: Keeping the end-users engaged and updated until they are delivered the service under request is an added responsibility of businesses today. It surely gives an edge in terms of innovation and creativity. UberEats is already a step ahead in the competition with the colorful animation tracking system that keeps the customers updated on the order status.
4. Reviews & Ratings
The reviews & rating system is a mirror to the shortcomings and strengths alike. No matter how small you start, never underestimate the power of the reviews & rating system for your on-demand app.
A rating system has many angles associated with it that ought not to be missed.
- Delivery Agent Ratings: Whenever a user gets the service/product delivery, they should receive an in-app option to review the experience with the service provider. Good ratings can further add authenticity and a sense of pride and even form grounds for extra earnings.
- Quality of Service Ratings: The service that you would be providing needs to be rated too. If you are just an anchor between the actual service provider and the customer, the quality of service ratings do not imply to you. A suitable example could be a house maintenance on-demand delivery service app such as “TaskRabbit,” the quality of service provided by freelance labors would be covered in this rating. In other words, it refers to the users’ satisfaction with the deliverable.
- App Ratings: A survey by Apptentive suggests that nearly 80 percent of people go through app reviews and ratings before downloading. So, it is a good practice altogether to send time-to-time alerts that instigate the users for reviewing the app. If the ratings are not fulfilling your expectations, you need to look back on the reviews and address the appending user-experience issues.
The newer invention disrupting the rating & reviewing feature:
- Social Media Reviews & Ratings: Integrating a poll feature is a newer and exciting idea for rating an experience. Be it Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram; your social media team can create polls, something like “Yay” or “Nay” options for reviews.
5. Help & Support
Many a time, customers and delivery agents need help & support from the service providers. Therefore, it is the sole responsibility of the app developers to offer support window with 24/7 availability.
Ignoring the “help & support” feature from your mobile app development efforts would be a big-time drawback when it comes to user experience. There are different channels for effective help & support, like:
- In-App Messages: Your app needs an in-built messaging interface where the customer executives can indulge in a one-to-one chat with the users or delivery agents in real-time.
- Call Scheduling: Including a call scheduling feature is also a great way to offer help & support. The feature should allow the respective individual to request a callback from the executive at a convenient time.
- FAQ Section: Creating a portal on the app for frequently asked questions can save time for both the help & support executives and the parties in concern. So, it is always a smart move to integrate an FAQ section to offer clarifications on commonly occurring confusion.
The latest tech disruption around the help & support feature:
- Welcome to the World of Chatbots: In this era where maintaining an in-house staff can be tricky, chatbots save the day. You could move ahead with the chatbot development with platforms such as “wit.ai”, Chatfuel, or even api.ai.A perfect example here could be Baidu’s Melody Bot that works as an on-demand doctor’s app. The in-built bot not only helps answer queries/concerns but also with doctors along with booking their appointments.
Have you been pondering for long over an on-demand business idea and just not been able to make the big move? Do not ponder anymore and look on to disrupt the market with your game-changing on-demand app, by indulging with an on-demand delivery app builder who can wear the creativity cloak and build for you a feature-rich app with a pinch of innovation & perfection.
All you need is a break-through business idea and an interactive app to get started on your on-demand app journey. And, voila! Nothing can stop your app from being a supreme success.